2013 Planting Hope Gala a HUGE Success
Written by Plant With Purpose on October 15, 2013 in General, News & Events
The 2013 Planting Hope Gala was a phenomenal success on Saturday night. We are grateful to those who attended, and we are deeply humbled by their generosity, passion, and commitment to the work of Plant With Purpose. To them we say, “Thank you!”
Thank you for taking an active role in equipping the rural poor to change their circumstances in life-changing ways. For thousands of people like Lun Pierre and Leoncio de los Santos—the farmers we met through the “Restoring Land, Renewing Dreams” video—your generosity through the gala brings the possibility of a brighter future for themselves, their families, and their communities.
Lun Pierre, a widow and mother of six children, shared, “Plant With Purpose gives us a lot of strength. They helped me to manage things better. Now I can send my children to school and feed my family. With Plant With Purpose and with God, you can see what I’ve accomplished.”
At the Planting Hope Gala, we also accomplished a lot. Together, more than $337,000 was raised, making it one of the most successful galas to date!
- $100,000 for Watershed Restoration: Because of your generosity, we will be able to impact thousands of families living in strategic watershed areas through fully integrated programs that combine land restoration, sustainable agriculture training, Village Savings and Loan Associations (VSLAs), and church-based discipleship.
- $30,000 for Economic Empowerment: Through your gifts, Plant With Purpose will be able to launch 30 new VSLAs, empowering hundreds of families to create a financial safety net through savings and access to loans.
- $40,000 for Improved Health: Your support means poor, rural families can access resources—including backyard gardens, cisterns, ecological latrines, and fuel-efficient cookstoves—that will improve the health of their families.
- $60,000 for Discipleship: By training hundreds of pastors and church leaders, supporting hundreds of Bible studies, and facilitating community-engagement programs in dozens of churches, your gifts will equip local churches and leaders to teach and live out the gospel in their communities.
- $25,000 for Feeding Families: Your support will enable hundreds of families to increase their food production in order to put nutritious meals on the table and to earn an income through the sale of surplus crops.
- $9,620 for Trees: Your generosity will equip partnering farmers to plant 9,620 trees in order to restore productivity to their land. The end result is increased harvests and increased incomes so that farming families can pay for basic necessities, send their children to school, cover the costs of health care, and invest in their future.
We are thankful to all our supporters for investing in the lives of the rural poor, for believing transformation is possible, and for empowering people like Lun and Leoncio to live with God-given hope and dignity.