The People Behind the Purpose: Christi
Written by Plant With Purpose on October 30, 2015 in General, The People Behind the Purpose
For this month’s “The People Behind The Purpose” we get to meet Christi Huizenga! Christi has been with Plant With Purpose as the Program Officer for Africa for the past five years and recently transitioned to spearhead our fundraising and marketing efforts. We are thrilled to have her in this new role, leading our development team, and using her prior marketing experience and expertise in our programs in a whole new light.
Today we get to hear a little more about the heart behind the Pippi Longstocking hair (see question nine for context) and what inspires her to do what she does every day. Congratulations to five years and we cannot wait to see all that Christi does in her new position!
1. Job Title?
Well, my new business cards say Director of Development and Marketing.
2. How long you’ve worked at Plant With Purpose?
3. Favorite pumpkin-flavored treat?
Definitely pumpkin … more specifically pepitas, otherwise known as pumpkin seeds. I don’t really like pumpkin flavored things. They’re usually a little too sweet for my taste.
4. What are you most excited about in your new role as Director of Development and Marketing?
I’m really excited to tell people about what we do. I think we have really well thought through programs that have a significant impact on people’s lives. I want to tell the story as well as possible because I just think it’s really cool.
5. Place in the world that gives you the most joy?
I have a few:
– the backyard in my parent’s house is a big one
– swimming to the middle of La Jolla Cove (halfway to the Shores)
– places that remind me of being a kid like climbing live oaks in St. Augustine, Florida.
I’ve had more than a few. They almost always involve jumping through some complicated hurdles to get to some really remote and isolated part of Africa by myself. But it’s always worth it (see the picture as an example).
7. How would you describe Plant With Purpose in four words?
Thoughtful, disciplined, joyful, humble
8. What inspires you to do what you do every day?
I got into this type of work probably for two reasons:
1. I have a sense of adventure and curiosity about the world that makes me want to learn and understand.
2. I firmly believe that God cares deeply for those people who feel overwhelmed and burdened by the weight of rural poverty. I think that they sometimes feel forgotten or overlooked. Every so often I feel like I get to see a small glimpse of how much God actually loves all his people and that makes me want to keep working even when i’m tired or burned out.
9. What’s the best Halloween costume you ever had?
Pippi Longstocking. I wore that costume for probably four or five years in a row.