Are you eager to understand the financial and operational interworking of a nonprofit organization? Do you hope to build your skill set and gain practical experience in order to pursue a meaningful career in finance? As the finance intern, you will work collaboratively with our Finance Assistant and Director of Finance and Administration on department initiatives, such as:
- Collaborate with the finance team to determine a project which you will own and work through
- Review, analyze, and make recommendations on financial systems, policies, and procedures for streamlining and making process improvements
- Conduct market research on other organizations, financial markets, and donors
- Process donor information in Quickbooks and eTapestry database systems
- Perform weekly administrative finance and accounting functions
- Seek new opportunities for the organization and give input on
- Track and update financial data in accounting systems and online financial boards
- Sincerely interested in the holistic environmental mission of Plant With Purpose and the diverse communities we seek to empower
- Acute attention to detail and highly organized
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work independently
- Inquisitive and determined to seek out solutions
- Proficient computer skills in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Capable of applying statistical analysis utilizing Excel
- Experience with Quickbooks preferred, though not required
- Preferably working toward a degree in finance, economics, accounting, business administration, or nonprofit management
- Knowledge/experience in community development and/or international travel is a plus
- Ability to be in our San Diego office 12-15 hours per week
- Please refer to the Internships page for the dates of the season to which you are applying. Internship dates can be flexible. If an early decision is needed, please specify in your application.
- Interns must be able to provide their own transportation for the semester-long period.
While this is an unpaid internship, you will gain hands-on experience working closely with a creative, close-knit team who is inspired to achieve a lasting solution to rural poverty. We can also coordinate with your institution to to offer academic credit for your experience.