Are you passionate about making the world a better place? Do you get jazzed about telling stories of hope and possibility? Are you energized by raising money to fight poverty? Do you believe that all people should be able to live with God-given hope and dignity? If the answer to all these questions is, “Yes, a thousand times, yes!” then this may just be the internship for you.
As a grant writing intern, you will support our development team by communicating with potential donors about the impact of our work, doing research on issues related to rural poverty and international development, and dreaming with us about ways to increase support for Plant With Purpose programs around the world. In other words:
- Research potential funders, grant opportunities, and industry trends (aka online sleuthing)
- Write and edit grant proposals and reports in collaboration with the staff grant writer (aka inspiring people to partner with us)
- Write and edit fundraising or awareness-raising materials (aka story-telling)
- Provide support to fundraising and communication efforts (aka being a part of the team)
- Sincerely interested in the holistic environmental mission of Plant With Purpose and the diverse communities we seek to empower
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills; attention to detail and organization
- Motivation and willingness to initiate, self-start, and seek out solutions
- Excellent Internet research skills
- Creativity and critical thinking ability
- Adaptability and ability to work in a team setting
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Competent computer skills in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Preferably working toward a degree in communications, international development, nonprofit management, fundraising, journalism, or a related field
- Knowledge/experience in community development and/or international travel is a plus
- Ability to be in our San Diego office 12-15 hours per week
- Please refer to the Internships page for the dates of the season to which you are applying. Internship dates can be flexible. If an early decision is needed, please specify in your application.
- Interns must be able to provide their own transportation for the semester-long period.
While this is an unpaid internship, you will gain hands-on experience working closely with a creative, close-knit team who is inspired to achieve a lasting solution to rural poverty. We can also coordinate with your institution to to offer academic credit for your experience.